The Magic Roundabout Milonga organises Argentine tango dance events for people who like traditional tango music. Six years ago I became a part of the Magic Roundabout Milongas team. Since then there have been Magic Roundabout (MR) Milongas in Bristol (Almondsbury), Tidenham Chase, Kington Langley and Lydney. Since May 2020 the Magic Roundabout is online too!
Lovely memories of some of our milongas can be found on my YouTube Channel in my YouTube playlists:
- Kington Langley – The BIG Magic Roundabout Milongas
- Lydney – The Magic Roundabout Sunday Service Milongas
- Bristol – The Magic Roundabout Milongas in Almondsbury
The Magic Roundabout Milongas
If you enjoy dancing to music from the Golden Age of Tango in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere, then you will like The Magic Roundabout Milongas. We believe that the details make a difference to your dance experience. At the events you’ll find sprung wooden dance floors, excellent sound, cabeceo friendly lighting, experienced DJs, free tea and coffee and free parking. At the moment we are using two venues:
- NEW on Zoom
- Kington Langley Village Hall, Chippenham
- Lydney Masonic Centre, Highfield Road, Lydney, Gloucestershire
You’ll find more information about the venues further down.
Our milonga dates for 2020!
The MAGIC milonga dates for you in 2020
As we had to cancel our tango events in Lydney and Kington Langley from 22 March 2020 onwards we have now decided to bring the Magic Roundabout online! There is obviously need for good traditional tango music and social interaction we are calling it The Magic Roundabout Sunday Social. Three hours with tandas in three and the opportunity to request your favourite song too. Catch up with your friends via the chat function of zoom.
The Magic Roundabout Sunday Social
3 hours with tango music in tandas of three
- 14 June – DJ Paul Strudwick
- 28 June – DJ Bärbel Rücker
- 12 July –
- 26 July –
- 9 August –
- 23 August –
- 13 September –
- 27 September –
- 11 October –
- 25 October –
- 15 November –
- 29 November –
Kington Langley – The BIG Magic Roundabout Milongas
6 hour milongas with normally two tango DJs and occasional some talks before.
- 1 March – Milonga with DJs Bärbel Rücker & Michael Lavocah + Talk
- 25 May – ONLINE Milonga with DJs Paul Strudwick & Bärbel Rücker
27 September – Milonga with DJs Paul Strudwick & Bärbel Rücker
- 25 October – Milonga with DJ Nick King
- 22 November – Milonga with DJs Paul Strudwick & Bärbel Rücker
Lydney – The Sunday Service Milongas
Our 4 hour milongas with 1 or 2 tango DJs and the popular Tango Marketplace.
- 26 January – DJ Paul Strudwick
- 16 February – DJ Bärbel Rücker
22 March – CANCELLED
- 26 April – CANCELLED
- 17 May – DJ DUO Paul Strudwick & Bärbel Rücker
- 28 June – DJ Bärbel Rücker
- 26 July
- 9 August
- 20 September
- 18 October
- 29 November
Our magic DJs
Paul Strudwick and Bärbel Rücker share the DJ duties, choosing from the rich heritage of tango to provide music you won’t be able to resist dancing to.
Occasionally there will be guest djs for special events.
So far following DJ’s have been with us choosing the music for you:
- Mabel Gomez (Cardiff, UK),
- David Thomas (TangoJourney, UK),
- Michael Lavocah (UK),
- Theresa Faus (DE) &
- Marek Szotkowski (Star Dance Cardiff, UK).
The Venues of the Magic Roundabout Milongas
Since May 2020 you’ll find The Magic Roundabout online on Zoom.
Kington Langley Village Hall
The MR Milongas in Kington Langley are organised about quarterly at the Kington Langley Village Hall, near Chippenham, Wiltshire.
- Kington Langley Village Hall, Church Road, Chippenham. SN15 5NJ.
This is a lovely hall, approximately 20m x 9m, with sprung wooden floor said to be one of the best dance floors in the area. It has a separate shoe changing area where you can leave coats and outside shoes and a kitchen area where you can help yourselves to hot and cold drinks and light refreshments. Easy access from the M4 motorway, Junction 17.
The nearest train station is Chippenham, 2.5 miles from the venue. A taxi ride is about £8 each way. The hall has a car park for 30 cars at the rear.
Lydney Masonic Centre
The 4 hour Sunday Service Milongas with the Tango Marketplace are organised monthly at Lydney Masonic Centre in the Forest of Dean.
- NEW! Lydney Masonic Centre, Highfield Road, Lydney, Gloucestershire
The place has a wooden dance floor, excellent sound, cabeceo friendly lighting, experienced DJs, free tea and coffee and free parking.
Very easy access from the A48 by car.
The nearest train station is Lydney which is approximately 2 mile from the venue.
- Website – www.magicroundabout.eu
- Facebook Group – The Magic Roundabout Milongas
- Newsletter – Subscribe to the Magic Newsletter to be up to date!